In recognition of the first day of school (at least here in Calgary, Alberta) I started thinking about the value of an education vacation with the kids. These Learning Trips are part of a growing segment of family travel.
We’ve had friends that took their kids out of school for an entire school year and toured around the world with them! Depending on your child’s age this can be tricky but well worth it.
My children are in Kindergarten this year and I wouldn’t hesitate to take them out of school for a 1-2 week vacation. A whole year though- I’m not sure.
The value of a learning adventure experienced as a family seems immeasurable compared to what can be learned within the 4 walls of a classroom .
Here are 5 things to think about if you are contemplating an Education Vacation:
- If you are going to be away for a significant amount of time are you prepared to Home School your child on the road?
- Are you going to ‘Go It Alone’or join a group excursion? Even Disney has a family adventure travel company!
- High end or budget friendly? Companies like Artisians of Leisure specialize in exclusive family learning adventures.
- Deciding where you want to go can be influenced by your children’s interests (dinosaurs, sailing, safaris)
- If you are only going to be away for a few weeks, you will want to ensure that your child’s school is supportive.
Want to know more? Check out these links: